Thursday 12 July 2012

New Apprentice

I've been working on a few new projects, will post pictures soon, and have an apprentice who likes to "help."  His name is Ian, and we just celebrated his first birthday last weekend. 

When he was very young, before he started to explore his mobility and reach out to the world around him, Ian would sit on my lap and watch the needle move up-down, up-down, up-down.  After a few very short months, he started playing with the fabric and I had to find a new place for him to supervise from - conveniently, he was very content to nap on the floor next to my sewing table.  Now that he motors around the sewing room I've had to make a few lay-out adjustments such as hiding power cords behind boxes, and moving smaller sewing notions out of reach. 

One thing I didn't anticipate was Ian's fascination with the foot pedal - I should know by now to be suspicious when he's suddenly quiet.  The good news is, he can blindly sew a 1/4" seam in a very straight line (or maybe I just lucked out that the fabric was already lined-up nicely), and working on a non-computerized machine I was able to flick the power switch before anything got out of hand.

Work-Life Balance seems to have a whole new meaning now...

No comments:

Post a Comment